The term “website accessibility” is becoming more well known since legislation has changed to require websites to be accessible to disabled users. Businesses that are not currently digitally accessible face the risk of lawsuits and fines. don’t worry, ZIV provides website accessibility optimization for businesses in Kansas City and beyond.
The Americans with Disabilities Act is designed to protect individuals from being discriminated against by any private business, group, or entity. The idea is to prevent people from being overlooked or excluded from society—and we think that is a great thing.
A website without accessibility features is like a business without a wheelchair ramp.
So then, what is website accessibility and who is it for?
Website accessibility is simply designing and developing websites that can be used by people with disabilities. An accessible website can be navigated, understood, and used effectively by people with different abilities and disabilities, including those with visual, auditory, motor, and cognitive impairments.
This is critical because people with disabilities have the same right to access information and services as people without disabilities. Making websites accessible opens up a potential audience with high brand loyalty and spending power.
The exciting thing about website accessibility is it’s not just for people with disabilities, it benefits everyone. For example, captions and transcripts for videos can be helpful for people who are not fluent in that language or who are in a noisy environment. Clear and simple language can benefit people with cognitive disabilities as well by making it straightforward and easy to understand.
Aside from providing equal access to people with disabilities, website accessibility is a legal requirement in many countries. Organizations that fail to comply with accessibility regulations may face legal action, fines, or reputation damage.
All in all, website accessibility is worth considering for any organization in Kansas City that wants to provide equal access to information and services to all people, regardless of their abilities or disabilities.
Accessibility is about removing barriers to provide the benefits of technology to everyone.
Reasons why websites should be optimized for accessibility
- Legal obligations: In many countries, including the United States, Canada, and Europe, there are laws that require websites to be accessible to people with disabilities. Failure to comply with these laws can have consequences.
- Ethical responsibility: Accessibility is a matter of equal rights and ethics. People with disabilities have the same right to access information and services as people without disabilities. Making accessibility common practice will ensure that people with disabilities are not excluded from participating in society.
- Business benefits: Making websites accessible can increase the reach of a business and attract more customers. People with disabilities represent a significant market, and making websites accessible can help businesses tap into this market.
- Improved user experience: Website accessibility has a direct impact on user experience whether they have a disability or not. For example, captions and transcripts for videos can be helpful for people who are not fluent in the language spoken in the video or who are in a loud environment.
- Future-proofing: Making websites accessible can help future-proof them. As technology evolves, new assistive technologies will emerge, and making websites accessible ensures that they can be used with these new technologies.
Ultimately, optimizing website accessibility in Kansas City is not only a legal and ethical obligation but also a smart business decision that can benefit everyone. Contact us today to find out how we can help get you compliant!
More About ZIV
ZIV has offices in greater Kansas City and Denver, CO. Whether it’s creating a brand, implementing a digital solution to disrupt an industry, transforming a customer’s experience to gain loyalty, or executing a marketing strategy for needed growth – they’ve got you covered. Explore their capabilities and past work at letsziv.com.